Friday, August 5, 2011

The Wise Farmer


Once, there lived a peasant couple with a son

Haru, they fondly called him, their only one

Long awaited child, they loved him dearly

Did the best for him. All he wished for, had he.

The father, a pious man, head held high

Respected by all lived he. Days went by.

Gained wisdom as he mused while he tilled day long

Mother with her son, fussing all along

One fine morn, the farmer woke up musing

Found his only son ill and dying

Brought the best doctors, did all that he could

The boy died but no tears did he shed

Grieving mother grieved the more seeing him

Unmoved. `Your only son, young, full of vim,

Fate struck him but you grieve not, cry not !

Heartless you are, a stone's what you've got !'

The gentle farmer replied, `Hear my dear,

I am puzzled for whom to shed my tear

In the early morn I ruled a rich kingdom

Had six strapping princely sons with wisdom

And valor to win the world twice over

Then woke up to find them gone for ever

Now tell me dear, whom should I cry for ?

My Haru or those sons valorous in War ?'

This a dream ? That true ? Or the real is beyond, far ?

Truth flashed on her too. Dim brooding she quit.

Life with scenes of waking and dream is but

Tip of the living force solid and spread out.


No comments:

Post a Comment