Friday, February 24, 2012

One Life In A Ghost land (or Brahma Satyam Jagad Mithya)


It was a hundred and eight years ago
That he did it, my young friend, my room-mate
It was a great Houdini act
It was a brilliant piece in his show
He pretended to be born, to live,
To suffer and to die
His next acts are on
But that one has so hooked us
That we have changed his name
We call him now by the name
He took in that piece
Oh, he is a merry mischievous mate
Spontaneity is his name
There is never a dull moment with him
Sometimes, he teases me with mock terror
Or he presents a pleasing wholesome joy
He is so lively, death was teased away by him
He is the star show man
In this super-mart of joy
He has many wonderful gift offers
He is so sporting, throws such good bargains
with his gifts
But as my brother said,
He is the greatest ever gift
Oh ! Star of my soul,
My soul-mate, my all, my self,
I wouldn't do without you, my love.
He seems to still
Such serene and placid looks
That lulls us to close our eyes in silence
But he steals behind us
Arranges our affairs into all sorts of knots
We return in rage
Again the smooth cool fellow
Disarms us, charms us and lulls us
He dips back into his bag of dirty tricks.
He looks dirty, unkempt beard, and old
But I am yet to see prettier
more fashionable girls than
those who flock to him.
He looks withdrawn, eyes half closed
But they come, expose all their
Secret sorrows to him, the lazy tramp
Smart boys, cute girls, cute boys, smart girls,
Society men, women of all ages, of all types
Moneybags, none-i'-bags, middle sorts,
They all come to him
He never seems to move, my rogue-friend
Yet he pulls the crowd
'Nother wonder, he never pulls any wonder,
The lame limp back
The blind return groping
The ill might go worse
But they are all hooked to him
They all swear by him
He is sure a wonder boy, this , my friend.
I can never tell enough of my pal.
Almost always, he never shows up
Leaving us only his shadows.
But I see walking, shaking
Jerking, running. swinging, dancing corpses around
They swarm the whole earth
It is all a ghost land
Morbid, sickening, dull, death-stamped
Only sign of life I see,
In these dumb at first sight
Photos and statues
That is the brightest thing in this
ghost land, this, his shadow.
I seem to have stumbled upon him
My love, my mate, my self,
I won't let go now
You caught me or I caught you, I don't know
But I find a sweet togetherness
We have massaged each other enough
We have chatted enough
Let us slip into our place
The sweet real dreamland

5.10 p.m. 17 Mar 1995, Holy Hyd'bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment